Community & Resources
Connect with your community to grow your business.
A community driven and community owned online directory that represents Alberta's innovation sector service providers. Connect with our innovation ecosystem quickly to identify the most suitable provider to meet your business needs.
- New Tech Meetup
*On hiatus while the program is revamped. Stay tuned for updates! - This monthly meetup brings together Calgary's tech ecosystem of startups, businesses, academia and investors. Learn about and foster support for the latest technology startups within Calgary. Join this ever-growing community to open the path in becoming involved in a startup.
Meetups brings people together to do more of what they want to do in life. This site brings people together to do, explore, teach and learn the things that help them come alive.
This free service helps users connect with Alberta's ever-expanding research and innovation network. Connectica facilitates introductions between stakeholders, researchers and entrepreneurs, and helps to bridge the gap between Alberta's research organizations, universities and publicly-funded innovation support services.
- Calgary Innovation Coalition System Map
The Calgary Innovation Coalition is a group of 16 organizations within Calgary that support the advancement of innovation-driven entrepreneurship. Working in the spirit of Rainforest Alberta this coalition adopts the holistic approach based on principles advocated in the Rainforest framework. This system map helps entrepreneurs identify the offerings of each of the 16 organizations based on stage of development.
Awards & Recognition
- ASTech Foundation
The Alberta Science and Technology Leadership (ASTech) Foundation's mission is to identify and celebrate outstanding achievements in science and technology in Alberta.
The ASTech Awards are Alberta's highest science and technology honours. The premiere event brings together 600 representatives from industry, government, media and educational institutions to honour and celebrate outstanding achievements in 13 categories covering the innovation system, sector-specific and leadership categories.
- Ernest C. Manning Innovation Awards
Since 1982, the Ernest C. Manning Awards Foundation has been telling the stories of Canadian innovators with the imagination to innovate and stamina to succeed.
Their foundation celebrates and rewards Canadian innovators whose innovations are commercially viable, support our provincial and national economies by creating jobs and wealth, and position Canada as a global competitor.
- Energy New Venture (ENV) Competition
Started in 2014, the ENV Competition is Canada's leading early-stage pitch competition dedicated to the advancement of emerging innovations for the energy sector.
- TEC Ventureprize
Alberta's premier business plan competition to help grow business ideas.
Provincial and Federal Government Sites
- Alberta Innovates - A new research, innovation, and commercialization corporation that addresses global challenges, and increases Alberta's global competitiveness with made-in-Alberta solutions from the province's core strengths - agriculture, energy, environment, forestry, and health.
- Defence R&D Canada Suffield - Located in Medicine Hat, Alberta, DRDC Suffield is the major Canadian military research establishment in Western Canada.
- Government of Canada - Ministry of Innovation, Science and Economic Development - works with Canadians in all areas of the economy and in all parts of the country to improve conditions for investment, enhance Canada's innovation performance, increase Canada's share of global trade and build a fair, efficient and competitive marketplace.
- Government of Canada's Innovation Agenda - committed to making Canada a global innovation leader.
- The National Research Council-Industrial Research Assistance Program (NRC-IRAP) - Canada's premier innovation assistance program for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs).
- The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada - (NSERC) Supports basic university research through discovery grants helping to support make Canada a country of discoverers and innovators.
- Western Economic Diversification - WD's mandate is to promote the development and diversification of the economy of Western Canada and to advance the interests of the West in national economic policy. WD fulfills its mandate through the innovation, economic development and business development.
Reports & Studies
Alberta Enterprise - The 2016 Deal Flow Study
Calgary Economic Development - 2015 Annual Report
Strategic Timelines Inc. - Overview of the 40 main provincial and federal innovation funding programs to assist Alberta-based technology-driven business.
University of Calgary - 2016 Community Report