The Opportunity to Bring your Innovation/Business to Canada?
Canada's Startup Visa (SUV) Program is intended to attract foreign entrepreneurs who wish to establish new, high-growth businesses in Canada which will support innovation and job creation. To be eligible for the Startup Visa under this stream, entrepreneurs must be accepted into a program offered by a designated Canadian business incubator.
Calgary Technologies Inc. (previously under Innovate Calgary) is one of the business incubation programs designated by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
In addition to receiving a Letter of Support for bringing your business venture to Canada, successful applicants will receive additional support from Calgary Technologies Inc. in the form of:
- Regular check points to assess progress
- Business coaching & mentoring from our advisors and entrepreneurs-in-residence
- Access to Entrepreneur Development programs & services
- Connection point to southern Alberta’s advanced tech community
- Recommendations for applicable grant applications
In addition to meeting the Government of Canada’s Startup Visa Eligibility Criteria, applicants must also the following requirements:
- Have primary/secondary market research, with an emphasis on customer validation
- Revenues must be based on the company’s product, not from consulting services
- Demonstrate clear value in bringing the company to Calgary (i.e.: closer to key customers, suppliers, distributors, and/or channel partners)
- We do not provide financial support or incentives therefore applicants must have sufficient funds to carry the company through the next 2+ years:
- Working capital in the bank
- Letter of Commitment
- A solid team is in place:
- Ability to demonstrate each team member (applicant) is an integral part of business operations, has the background to execute the business plan, and has demonstrated applicable work experience, education and/or research experience
All travel and associated relocation costs are the responsibility of the applicant.
The Start-up Visa (SUV) Program application process is highly competitive and incomplete applications will not be considered.
To begin the application process, please complete our intake form, and include a description of each applicant’s background, the business, and the current stage of growth of the business. Only successful applicants will be contacted.
Once your business is supported by a designated Canadian business incubator and you satisfy all eligibility criteria, you will be referred to apply for a startup visa with the Government of Canada.